Rebel Bee Forum
June 21, 2018, 04:32:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Rebel Bee Forum. If you would like to join this forum, please send an email to beesniz@bbe-tech.com and we will add you as soon as possible.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a solution  (Read 1162 times)
Daddys Bees
Forager

Bee Karma: +5/-0

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »

I have a friend who needs to make a split this year. Her hive is a KTB. She has a friend who wants her bees, but he has a Lang hive. Any idea how to make the best transfer? Some thoughts below:
Make a nuc, and produce a new queen, make sure that she is laying.
Then ->
1) Shake the nuc into the Lang, seal and close it, mount combs in frame with some wire or etc, Then insert these frames, close hive.
OR 2) Shake bees, return combs to their original hive.
OR 3) Some other process.
 cool
bigbear
BeeMonger-at-Large
Administrator
Forager

Bee Karma: +8/-1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »

two of the most common ways  I have seen this done is to either

shake the bees out onto the ground in front of new hive and place queen in a cage inside new hive (use a sheet or board to shake bees onto that leads them to new hive entrance.)

cut existing combs from bars to fit into frames that fit into new lang box.  rubber band them into the frame.  The bees will re-attach

Check out my laid back Linux and Open Source Blog in which I manage to talk about both honey bees and Tech stuff at the same time.

http://practicallylinux.blogspot.com
http://smallbizlinux.forumsland.com/
Daddys Bees
Forager

Bee Karma: +5/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »

Yes, BB.  I've heard of this. I just couldn't remember it somehow. Duh...  Huh?  Thank you for refreshing this ol' mind! I will pass it on to my friend, allowing some free bees to be given away to a newbie.

Thanks,
Daddy's Bees

Jump to: