Rebel Bee Forum
June 22, 2018, 09:46:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Rebel Bee Forum. If you would like to join this forum, please send an email to beesniz@bbe-tech.com and we will add you as soon as possible.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Rules  (Read 6415 times)
bigbear
BeeMonger-at-Large
Administrator
Forager

Bee Karma: +8/-1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:32:26 PM »

1) This is a civil, open-minded and objective forum.  It is created to allow members of the BBE-Tech apiary to communicate and help each other to learn and become better beekeepers.  Please remember there are or will be members as young as 9 years old participating here.  This is a forum about bees and working with bees for beekeepers and conservationists of all ages.  Let's set a good example for the beeks of the future please.

2) There is no political, religious, or otherwise "hot topic" discussion in this forum. We do have a "Shootin the breeze" category, but those previous topics are off limits. You are also free to make use of PM's to talk among yourselves here.  You'll notice we have a board to talk about laws.  That is specific and limited to the laws themselves, as written.  not the politics surrounding them such as political parties or ideological groups (liberal/conservative, etc...).

3) When it comes to discussing differing points of view and conflicting ideas, the principles of fact based, objective debate is the rule.  Users are more than welcome to hash out and debate or discuss conflicting procedures, strategies, methods, etc..but all discussion really should follow the "rules of debate":

A) In an objective debate, emotions and personal subjectivity are set aside, meaning that everyone agrees to not intend or take things personally.

B) It is measured by the principle of "Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say". The attention to the words having 'face value' are very important to the speakers credibility.

C) The 'art' and spirit of objective debate is utterly lost with insinuation and not providing ownership of statement. meaning that one should use language such as "I think",  "I believe", "It is my position/opinion/point..." to identify a statement as one's own opinion instead of intending a generalization such as "All X people are bad for business."

D) When supporting one's position, it should be fact based with links to sources, verification and corroboration.  Simply tossing an opinion such as "Well,  I think this is the way it is..." doesn't cut it.  If you are entering a belief, religious or philosophical example as support, it should be presented as theory or speculation and sources to the actual wording should be provided.

E) If one is to cite other peoples work and data as a viable and credible source, one should put in the homework to ensure there is corroboration that the person is reliable and has the history of demonstrating that credibility. One shouldn't take just any source as evidence until it has been corroborated.  The reader should not have to do your homework to understand a reference you made.

4) Personal attacks, name calling, emotionally 'losing it", etc... will not be tolerated.  The first instance will result in suspension, the second will result in being banned from this forum.  Civility is expected at all times.

One good suggestion I can offer when posting about something here, is to consider in your replies,

Can this be done?  
Should it be done?  
Why and/or Why not?

If someone asks "Can I treat my bees with Fumigillin?

You will want  to consider the question.  don't just shoot off a quick "People shouldn't treat bees." because that doesn't answer the question.  

What does answer the question is " I think you can treat bees if that's the choice you've made. " or "I don't think people should treat bees because..."

This last comment takes personal ownership of the statement by using the words ,"I think.." and first responds to the actual question of "can bees be treated?"  The reply goes on further to show it is that persons position that bee should not be treated and should go on to specify why not.

Asking vague questions will likely not provide the answers you are looking for and will only cause people replying to speculate as to the intent of your question.It also makes it easier for others to take the thread off topic and "hijack" a thread because there is no clear or specific direction for it to follow.

When someone starts a thread, it is their thread.  They are to police it according to how they intended the discussion to flow.  If there is a concern, one of the mods or admins can be asked to come in and help, if we aren't already on the situation.

We treat grown folks like grown folks here.  There is no emotional hand holding and Political Correctness Police here. There may be users under the age of 18 here so please be aware of that.

Humor,  humor is acceptable here.  Tell your jokes, make your smart aleck comments.  People will either get it or they won't.  If they don't, they are free to speak up and ask for clarification.

Crude humor doesn't belong here.  You know what it is, don't do it.

We want people to feel free to discuss all aspects of honey bees and beekeeping.  We want discussions to be real, active discussions.  Sometimes in discussions, points of view and information is brought that may be uncomfortable or factually questionable.

You can disagree, you can question each other, you can call some information out if you feel the need.  All we ask is you do it without being a jerk about it.

We won't be issuing points or warnings or other silly, trite things you might find in other bee forums.

You know what we're here for, have fun and help each other.  Learn and teach.  That's all we ask.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:47:56 AM by bigbear » Logged

Check out my laid back Linux and Open Source Blog in which I manage to talk about both honey bees and Tech stuff at the same time.

http://practicallylinux.blogspot.com
http://smallbizlinux.forumsland.com/
bigbear
BeeMonger-at-Large
Administrator
Forager

Bee Karma: +8/-1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »

You can ask that a new board or category be created to discuss something more specifically or that isn't here already.  But, bee warned.  He (or she) that asks, will probably be made the moderator for the new section.

Check out my laid back Linux and Open Source Blog in which I manage to talk about both honey bees and Tech stuff at the same time.

http://practicallylinux.blogspot.com
http://smallbizlinux.forumsland.com/
Al
obc
House Bee

Bee Karma: +2/-0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »

LOL, Thanks for the warning!!!! rotfl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: